A new version of Proton has been released.
Proton 8.0 is available now for devices that house a Vulkan 1.3 GPU and comes with a long list of fixes and additional support for a wealth of games.
What’s interesting is some of the games listed worked on previous Proton versions. I’m not sure what’s going on there but I’ll definitely be investigating. Last time I tried Disney Dreamlight Valley, for example, it all worked without any major issues. Weird.
The news comes via prominent Valve coder Pierre-Loup Griffais, who also says the experimental version of Proton 8.0 will launch “sometime this week.”
For those not in the know, Proton is the lifeblood of the Steam Deck, and the software that allows the Deck to run Windows games inside of a Linux environment. Whereas Proton is made by Valve, it’s not to be confused with the community efforts of Proton-GE – a version of Proton that features a host of custom tweaks.
To install the Proton 8.0, all you need to do is power up the Steam Deck and it’ll download the software by itself, then assign it to run as the default version. Do note: Any games you’ve hooked up to Proton 7.0 or onwards will need to be unlinked manually.
Full patch notes follow…
Proton 8.0 Patch Notes
- Samurai Maiden
- Dead Space (2023)
- Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
- Atelier Merururu
- Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
- Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book DX
- Blue Reflection
- Atelier Roronana: The Alchemist of Arland DX
- Disney Dreamlight Valley
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV
- Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition
- Exceed – Gun Bullet Children
- Gungrave G.O.R.E.
- Chex Quest HD
Proton 8.0 Fixes
- Fixed 2K launcher failure caused by launcher update.
- Fixed Arabic fonts in FIFA 21 and 22.
- Improved CJK font support in many games including NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Souzou with Power Up Kit, Stardom 3 and Sword and Fairy 3.
- Improved sleep/resume functionality on Steam Deck for Tiny Tina’s Wonderland.
- Improved multi-touch support.
- Fixed native scrollbar being always visible in Final Fantasy XIV Online launcher.
- Fixed A Plague Tale: Innocence and A Plague Tale: Requiem showing on-screen keyboard when starting the game on the Steam Deck.
- Fixed rendering issues during cutscenes in Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell.
- Fixed Japanese keyboard input in Final Fantasy XIV Online.
- Fixed Football manager 2023 crashing when trying to return from a player profile.
- Fixed experimental regression: Fall in Labyrinth started crashing on some setups.
- Improved CJK characters rendering in many games including NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Souzou with Power Up Kit.
- Fixed Life is Strange Remastered crashing at the end of chapter 2.
- Fixed Alt+Tab not working on Gnome 43.
- Improved force feedback compatibility for BeamNG and Forza Horizon 5.
- Fixed regression with Mortal Kombat X performance.
- Fixed OpenGL launch option for Youropa.
- Fixed raytracing in Crysis Remastered.
- Improved multiplayer support in Company of Heroes III.
- Improved fullscreen support for The Last Blade 2.
- Fixed regression: Minecraft Dungeons was hanging when disconnecting from multiplayer game.
- Fixed Immortals Fenyx Rising missing/out-of-order audio lines in cutscenes.
- Fixed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launcher flickering on Wayland.
- Fixed Story Mode not working in Dead or Alive 6.
- Enabled nvapi for many games.