After being unable to connect to its online services since its launch, Marvel Snap now works on Steam Deck.
Hot on the heels of Proton 7.0-5 moving to a stable release, a new update to Proton Experimental has made it possible for Marvel Snap to connect to the game’s online services.
To get it up and running, use the options button while highlighting Marvel Snap then select
Properties. From here click on Compatibility then toggle
Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool. From the drop-down menu, select
Proton Experimental and you’re almost good to go.
There is a catch, though. I couldn’t log into my Google account in
Gaming Mode. When Steam OS would bring up the login menu, Google determined the browser wasn’t secure.
However, some good news: I was able to log in after switching to
Desktop Mode and loading Marvel Snap through there. Because I have Chrome installed from the Discovery store, instead of using the built-in Internet browser, Marvel Snap opens the window in Chrome and lets me log in through there. Workarounds FTW!
After that, you can reboot back into
Gaming Mode and everything will work without a hitch.
Elsewhere in the Proton Experimental update, a host of games are now playable for the first time or performance has been improved, and there are a whole bunch of bug fixes for games including Halo Infinite, Sackboy, Gotham Knights, and many more.
Full patch notes from the Github follow…
Proton Experimental Update
- Now playable: One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4, Atelier Meruru, ToGather:Island, WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition, OUTRIDERS, Deathsmiles II, Crazy Machines 3, Persona 5 Royal, UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection, Gotham Knights, NinNinDays2, King under the Mountain, 雀姬 (Mahjong ladies).
- Fix Zeepkist freezing when using controller.
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing during longer flights.
- Fix Vampire Survivors crashing on SteamOS 3.4.
- Enable hidraw for simucube racing wheels and Fanatec pedals.
- Fix Sackboy: A Big Adventure failing to start the first time it’s launched.
- Fix Marvel Snap not being able connect to online services.
- Fix video playback speed/stutter in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN.
- Fix Halo Infinite intro video playing in a wrong language.
- Fix Halo Infinite not starting after a recent game update.
- Fix Halo Infinite hanging at multiplayer match start when game window is not focused.
- Fix friend invite to Fireteam lobby not working in Halo Infinite.
- Fix Spyro Reignited Trilogy playing intro video in a wrong language.
- Fix Septerra Core hanging on redistributables installation.
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator not starting after a recent game update.
- Fix multiple languages not rendering correctly in Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.
- Fix Korean not being rendered correctly in Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII launcher.
- Fix multiple monitor support in Project Cars 2.
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator not displaying live traffic.
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing when starting next to big cities.
- Fix Edge Webview installer throwing an error when starting Vermintide 2 for the first time.
- Fix the new EA launcher displaying a blank window.
- Fix the new EA launcher flickering on Steam Deck in handheld mode.
- Fix Quake III: Arena and Quake III: Team Arena displaying weird texture over the menu.
- Fix Super House of Dead Ninjas, Enemy Mind, and Out There Somewhere frame hitching every few seconds.
- Fix on-screen keyboard popping up every time when starting A Plague Tale: Requiem on the Steam Deck.
- Fix Alone in the Dark 3 failing to launch with recent Proton versions.
- Fix Lost Lands: Dark Overlord, Lost Lands: Dark Lord, Lost Lands: Redemption, and Haunted Hotel: Silent Waters Collector’s Edition crashing when trying to set a wallpaper.
- Fix Jurassic World Evolution 2 bad performance with recent Proton versions.
- Fix Halo Infinite crashing without internet.
- Enable nvapi for many games.
- Fix raytracing in Crysis Remastered.
- Halo Infinite now gets in-game. Many graphical artifacts still known on NVIDIA, minor artifacts expected on Deck and AMD Desktop.
- Fix OUTRIDERS hanging on a black screen after launch on the Steam Deck
- Update file distribution method to save disk space.
- Update dxvk to include the latest development work.
- Update vkd3d-proton to include the latest development work.